Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Grandchildren



I know everyone believes their grandchildren are the smartest, most precious and gorgeous in the world. Well . . . just to tell you, MINE REALLY ARE!!

Olivia is 5 years old and began kindergarten this year. She's mature for her age and sometimes while we are having a conversation, I have to remind myself that she's only 5-1/2! She can read and write beautifully. People have told me that girls mature earlier and are more apt to read and write better than boys. I never really had anything - or should I say anyone - with whom to compare. Now with Olivia's prowess in all things intellectual, I must agree.

Dennis and I thought we could be no more smitten with a little one until . . . JACK! Jack is all boy - through and through. I have to laugh when Shelley makes comments like, "Olivia never did that . . . Olivia was always content to sit and play with her dolls or puzzles", etc. Jack has been climbing up the "outside" of the stairs since before he could walk. It's not unusual that while readying his bath water he will take off and we have to chase him down. Once those clothes are off - he's off to the races. And, he thinks it's a thrilling game to run from Mom and Dad! He can empty a drawer faster than you can walk across the room. You could get upset with him because he can disassemble a toy with stealthlike speed and leave a mess in his wake. But, just one look at that face and that sweet smile - it's over, we are under his spell!

I love my grandbabies and lament that we are so far away. But, I got the BEST news yesterday . . . they will be coming out here for their summer vacation again this year. YAHOO . . . we are thrilled to send Denny and Shelley off for a long weekend alone while we get the kiddos to ourselves. We are making lots of fun plans.

1 comment:

  1. You are truly too kind and maybe a tad bias... but I agree with you 100%, so who am I to say you are wrong! ;) You may not be too excited for our next visit once we are there a few days! Chaos seems to follow us! ;) We can't wait for our vacation!

    ReplyDelete